Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Running the City of Bridges



Sunday I was 1 of 16,000 people with 1 goal in mind... 26 miles. The Pittsburgh Marathon.

Ok don't get too excited, I was actually on a relay team with 4 other newbie runners. It kind of feels like cheating to say I ran in the marathon because there were thousands of runners who really did run the full 26.2 miles, I can't even begin to compare myself to them. But it was awesome to be a part of something so big!

There are definitely major perks that they don't just save for the big-time runners:

  • Swag: dryfit shirt & socks, bag, energy bars & gels, sneaker balls, coupons, even rice & biscotti in our gift bags

  • Food: After the finish line they don't stop handing you bananas, oranges, cookies, gatorade, sandwiches, etc.

  • The Crowd: there were bands, cheerleaders, & tons of "fans" who love to yell "You're looking good!", "Great job!", "Keep it up, you're awesome!". I know they yelled it to everyone, but I liked to smile & wave like they were there just for me. Some of them actually WERE for me, thanks Emma & Neil!

  • THE GLORY: I ran the final leg of the race which means finish line. And a medal!


Maybe not everything was glorious... like waking up at 5:30 am, the pouring rain, & of course the bomb threat. Regardless I'll probably remember is as such a fun & amazing day. A personal highlight was running into Jeff, who was running the full marathon, & getting someone to hang out with for 4 miles.

If you would have asked me last year if I'd ever run a race the answer would have been NEVER. I just ran in the biggest race our city has! I feel good... real good. Next I think I'll take the summer easy but schedule a 10k for the end of summer so I can't relax all together. Here's to small accomplishments that make a BIG impact on my heart.

1 comment:

  1. Hey good job lady! Looks like the Catalyst people just missed you...we were near the Bloomfield Bridge cheering on Chris Massa... we saw Jeff though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a little message! They brighten up my inbox everyday.