Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Table

"The hunger for love is much more difficult to remove than the hunger for bread."




Tuesday nights are one of my favorite traditions. I start by meeting the girls at the church to go for a little run around SouthSide (4-ish miles yesterday!) & we end right back at the church for The Table.

In case you're not from these parts, The Table is just a community meal we have once a week. It's not like soup kitchen for the homeless, community meal means everyone. If nothing else, we all need 2 things in life: to eat & to be loved. They're both huge equalizers because they apply to every person on this planet. I need to eat, you need to eat, that crazy person needs to eat, smelly punk kids need to eat, the homeless need to eat, & my friends need to eat. So let's all do that together & maybe we call fill that second need too.

I didn't used to go to The Table when it first started because it looked like work & I'm already tapped out in a lot of ways. I don't have to be involved in everything. Then finally I had a realization: I don't have to be involved in everything! I could go & just enjoy it for what it is: time with friends, to eat, & to meet new people. Ahhh. So that's what I do... I go to enjoy & I don't work unless they're short handed & need people to step up. Sure there are people who need attention, but that's just a part of being in the group. Sure, you can tell me all about your stuffed animal seal named Andre while I enjoy this delicious cheesecake (yeah, that's last night about summed up) but I can just laugh it off & enjoy the company. Love it.

1 comment:

  1. Ah... I need to come back to the Table sometime! That's definitely Kingdom work right there. Plus I miss all you all!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a little message! They brighten up my inbox everyday.