Friday, August 13, 2010

Week 27




The other night I went a little crazy & decided I couldn't live another day without organizing my craft bin. (all I want in life is a craft room but I live in a studio apartment so it was crafting or a bed... a tough decision) So I sprawled out everything I own & thoroughly reorganized... & came across some forgotten items. A ticket stub to "Spirit of the Dance" from college... why would I possibly have kept this? Then I found another: 3 Doors Down. And another: Red Hot Chili Peppers. And then I figured out why I had never thrown away these random stubs... Matt.

He was my first serious boyfriend, first love & all that jazz. It's fitting since all week I've been talking about this being the Month of Love, let's chat about a ye olde love. We dated during freshman & sophomore year of college, & unlike most of my boyfriends I can't think of a single bad thing to say about him. (other than the fact that he dumped me... but even that's not a bad thing in the long run) My favorite memories of all time were every semester we'd go to the Military Ball since he was in ROTC. It was like a fairytale... grand ballrooms, formal gowns, and slow dancing with a man in uniform. *swoon* We still see eachother occasionally through mutual friends & it's always great catching up with an old friend, but we're totally different than in those sepia-toned memories of kids in love. haha It's like Streisand & Redford, misty water colored memories of the way we were.

So what do you do with the ticket stubs? Is it ok to throw away fond memories, is it weird to keep them when it's from a relationship that's many many year in the past? I debated & eventually realized my college scrapbook has a pocket in the back! What a great compromise, they'll stay tucked away but not in a way where I have to make the conscious decision to keep them every time I organize. Because let's be honest, when am I ever going to be like "man, if ONLY I had that Red Hot Chili Peppers ticket" & yet at the same time that was a damn good concert... I mean Queens of the Stone Age opened!


***************************************************************


Head over to Christopher & Tia to link up with a Flashback of your own!


3 comments:

  1. Aw, look how sweet you both look :) I think it's cool you have those stubs still and that you had a little pocket to tuck them away into. I took all of the ticket stubs I had from my high school and college days and stuck them all in my senior year yearbook. I look at them every once in a while and remember the good times. I don't think it's weird at all. It's nice to be able to look back at a past relationship and not have anything bad to say about it. I had my share of jerks who I have nothing good to say about, but I do have one that I understand and have accepted long ago that it was just one of those things that wasn't meant to be, yet I still have nothing bad to say about the guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would keep the RHCP ticket just for the fact that you breathed the same air with Josh Homme...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep all my movie and music ticket stubs in the hopes that I'll one day do some sort of scrapbook collage with them, but this has yet to occur....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a little message! They brighten up my inbox everyday.