Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Camera Abuse

Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to say goodbye to my camera. Now I'm going to beat the crap out of it.
Last week out of nowhere my camera suddenly decided to have a "lens error" that would keep the camera from opening. Nothing happened, it wasn't dropped, it was all very sudden & unexpected. Ever since I taught myself to change my own headlights & taillights from youtube I've been feeling more empowered to figure things out for myself, so I asked Lord Google what I should do about my camera & the answer was "beat it".

Apparently the lens error is super common in this make of camera but it's not recognized by the manufacturer as a defect so it would basically cost more than it's worth to fix it. So the best suggestion is to bang it against something hard & hope to jiggle loose whatever's wrong. I found this forum discussion on whole matter where someone was having a similar rant to my own... but what was really intriguing were the responses.

Note: We have had so many success stories from the “smacking the crap out of your camera complaint/solution” we decided to put up a donate button to funnel some cash to the author of the complaint. If you fixed your camera by reading this complaint, donate and buy this guy a beer.


haha I guess if there's no other hope for my camera, I've got nothing to lose! So I've been having a grand ol' time knocking the crap out of my camera, shaking, prodding at it... I may have crossed the line when I started throwing it across the room & gave it to a friend to disassemble. Meh. If it wasn't dead before, it sure is now. I guess it comes at a good time though, Black Friday & all. But if nothing else at least you know why there haven't been any pretty pictures of friends of adventures lately. R.I.P. Camera

2 comments:

  1. OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! You've had that camera for what seems forever!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah that error seems to be common with Canons for some reason... The ole "E18" error (shows up on your screen when the lens won't extend or retract). It happened to my PowerShot S80, but I couldn't get the hitting my camera to work for me, so I had to get a new one.

    I heard dirt plays a big factor in creating the error, so be sure to keep it in a case when you aren't using it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a little message! They brighten up my inbox everyday.